Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral and has been widely used in the construction industry since ages. It has high applications in residential, commercial and industrial space. The major Advantages and Disadvantages of using this building material are –
Advantages of Asbestos
- Asbestos is a very good thermal insulator and increases the energy efficiency of the building.
- It is highly resistant to fire and does not burn easily.
- It forms a very strong material when mixed with cement and used as an additive to form a composite material called asbestos cement.
- It is a very inexpensive and a very cost effective material, hence widely used.
- It is extensively used as a protective roofing material in corrugated form.
- It is highly durable and weather proof.
- It is resistant to damage from termites.
- Asbestos is very easy to clean and maintain but difficult to repair.
Disadvantages of Asbestos
- The major disadvantage of using asbestos is that it is seriously hazardous to health. Asbestos comprises of invisible micro particles which when released in the air can cause life threatening diseases if inhaled for a continuous span of time.
- Due to this major disadvantage new materials are being manufactured as a replacement to asbestos.