Glass is one of the most sophisticated and versatile materials used in the construction industry. Extensive use of glass helps in creating a very hi-tech and modern look in buildings. Glass is available in numerous varieties that respond to different functions; however the advantages and disadvantages of glass are –
Advantages of Using Glass
- It is a very Light weight building material hence helps in reducing the dead load of the Building.
- It offers unobstructed views thus making the interiors look big. When used in the exteriors it helps in bringing the outdoors into the indoors.
- When used as curtain walling in the façade the interiors are flooded with natural light throughout the day thus increasing the working efficiency of its occupants.
- The external glass is treated so as to reduce glare, prevent heat absorption and resistance to UV light. This helps in making the building energy efficient.
Read also : Benefits of Using Smart Glass at Home
Disadvantages of Using Glass
- It is a very costly material and has to be handled with care.
- It requires regular cleaning. In high rises external cleaning and maintenance from can be very challenging.
- Extensive use of glass might result in both psychological and actual security concerns.