Building or buying a new home, be prepared that your builder or, contractor might not do his best in installing the windows and doors even if the visually everything looks nice.
One may ask, “what is so special about doors & windows? There is just a frame and glass”. Well, both the frame and glass of a modern window differ drastically from the earlier one, as we move away from traditional wooden and grill door and windows to uPVC doors and uPVC windows, Today there are more than 200 uPVC windows & doors manufacturers in India & as per market growth, options are unlimited for us. But still million dollar question is which one is better?
uPVC Window and Door Buying Guide Steps
- STRENGTH : The strength of an uPVC window and door is primarily determined by a multi chambered uPVC profile that is reinforced with galvanized steel. The good uPVC door manufacturers will always maintain a standard profile width that can vary between 2.3mm to 3mm and the thickness of the steel reinforcements will range between 1 mm to 3mm. A strong uPVC profile shall be highly durable with resistance to cracks and flaking.
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY : The energy efficiency of a home can be enhanced with a uPVC window which is a low conductor of heat along with a good seal .Weather proof silicone sealants are highly recommended for sealing gaps around the uPVC window and the masonry wall, this creates an effective barrier and prevents any kind of heat loss or heat gain. Technically a low modulus neutral cure silicone sealant is highly recommended for uPVC window glazing
- Along with sealants window gaskets are used to seal the openings and any kind of gaps in the window. They prevent the penetration of water during rain and dust during extreme weather conditions. UV and ozone resistant material should be considered for window gaskets. The minimum thickness of a gasket should be 3mm and the most preferred gasket materials are EPDM rubber and TPE which is blended from rubber and plastic.
- A low E Double glazed or triple glazed unit can improve the energy efficiency of the window.
- SOUND INSULATION : For good sound insulation consider double or triple glazed uPVC windows and effective sealing of the window with silicone sealants and EPDM rubber gaskets.
- GLASS THICKNESS : A uPVC window could be single glazing, double glazing or triple glazing and the varieties of glass include normal float glass, toughened glass or laminated toughened glass. A standard single glazing glass is 6mm thick , a double glazing glass will have minimum 6-16-6 ( 6mm glass /16 mm inert gas layer/ 6 mm glass) , A triple glazing will have 4-12-4-12-4 ( 4mm glass/12 mm inert gas layer/4mm glass/ 12 mm inert gas layer /4mm glass).
- COLOUR STABILITY : A white uPVC window may have the tendency to discolour over a period of time. To ensure the stability of the white colour of the profile titanium di oxide is added during the manufacture of uPVC profiles. The minimum quantity of Titanium dioxide required is 2.5% by weight of the profile.
- SECURITY : Good uPVC windows must incorporate quality hardware along with a concealed locking system. Type 304 grade stainless steel must be used for the hardware which include friction stays, hinges and handles as they will not get easily rusted or corroded. Install a single point lock or a multi-point lock in the window as per the security requirements of the home. Consider a double glazed laminated glass window for good security of the home.
- WARRANTY : A reputed uPVC window manufacturer will give a minimum warranty of 10 years for the uPVC profiles and one year warranty on the hardware. The after sales service team should be prompt in addressing unexpected problems like broken handles ,realignment of window ,problems in the sliders or rollers for sliding windows, replace the broken glass ,broken hinge ,broken sash and check for water penetration.
Also read our ultimate guide on UPVC Doors & UPVC Windows.