Most people have no idea as to what a door closer is but, in reality, it has a notable importance. A door closer is exactly what it sounds like. A door closer is a mechanical device which closes a door after someone has opened it or after it was opened automatically. There are a lot of things that need to be considered including the manufacturer options, preferences of the customer and building specifications. In addition to the performance of the closer in situations of fire, the other criteria might include control over the closing rate, resistance to opening forces, durability and safety.
Locate: Door Closer Suppliers & Manufacturers in your area.
Also, there are several door closer types and you must choose the one that suits your needs the most.
The most popular kinds of door closers are-
- Overhead door closers
- Concealed door closers
- Floor-spring door closers
- Surface-mounted door closers
Overhead Door Closers
The overhead door closers are the most common of all and are widely used in commercial properties. For instance, conference doors, office interior doors are generally affixed with a closer which would automatically close the door. The three most common types of overhead door closers are –
- Regular Arm– The regular arm closer is a pull side application which means that it is located outside the door. There are two arms, one of which is attached to the frame while the other one is attached to a spring-loaded box. When closed, the arms project perpendicularly from the door. This is one of the most power-efficient options among all.
- Parallel Arm – in this application, there are two arms which sit on the door’s top. It is with the help of a spring-loaded box that it is attached to the door and powers the closing action. These kinds of closers are most common in schools and commercial properties. Also, they are more attractive than the other overhead options.
- Top Jamb– Just like the regular arm closers, the top jambs have arms that project out perpendicularly from the door. The only difference being that the spring-loaded box is mounted on the doorframe’s face. These are generally used for glass or aluminum doors as these doors have a rather narrow top rail.
Read Also: Hydraulic Vs Pneumatic Door Closer.
Concealed Door Closers
This kind of home Door Closer Style is fitted into the door or the frame in such a way that they remain concealed. They offer a more aesthetic look to the doors as they aren’t really visible when the doors are closed. They are available in the market as spring-loaded or hydraulic versions and are usually used for interior doors as they are fairly light.
Floor-Spring Door Closers
The Floor-spring door closers are generally used on glass doors and are mounted on the floor so that it remains concealed. A bar in the closer is fitted on the underside of the door that controls the closing action. These are mostly used for the upscale commercial properties as they have the most appealing looks. They also have an open setting so that they can be left open.
Surface-Mounted Door Closers
The Surface-Mounted door closer is manufactured in such a way that they can be fitted into the door frame with a bar at the back of the door. They are small in size and can be matched with the door’s color.
No matter what kind of door closer that you buy, it must be suitable for the door and should be able to close the door efficiently each time. The door closer must be able to hold the door close while there is no latch attached to the door. It should operate in such a way that the door that it is attached it would not get damaged.