10 ways to make your kitchen more eco friendly
Recycle, Recycle , Recycle
Replace, Replace, Replace
Greener, Greener and Greener
That’s the way the wind blows,
So blow it all and heighten your struggle
Towards a cleaner, greener happier world.
Basis of an eco friendly world moves outwards from your kitchen. Everyday we bring in large amounts of poly bags in which the “sabjiwala” puts your veggies and fruits and offers you to embellish his produce and make you feel grand about your happy cooking time.
Then, another visual- Cows and Birds scrounging in the corner dumping space for garbage, looking for food amongst the filth. Now, filth because of all that mix of wet waste and dry waste, all hugging each other to death of us all.
Poly bags in the cow’s stomach, left to fend for itself. No milk, no gain for their keeper who turns them out for the day.
So high time we did ourselves a favor by managing our own waste which finds its way to the sad cows, the landfills, the Yamuna and the Ganga…. So what can you do?
- Composting- Just need a large container. For example: A big clay pot in which plants are grown. Put in all your veg. peels, tea leaves etc. called wet waste from your kitchen and let it brew. Stir it every few days, in about 45 days it will become “khaad” (compost).
Use it for your plants or donate it to an enthusiastic gardening freak in your neighbor hood. You would have just done the Earth a great favor. Clean the dry waste like plastic, metal foil etc and sell it to a “Kabadi”.
Compost Your Food Scraps
- Expand and create your waste management company and pool in with your neighbors for collection and composting or even go upto creating your own bio gas plant.
- Recycle packaging materials. Keep 2-3 cloth bags handy for getting your food ingredients instead of carrying back 5-7 poly bags for the same wares.
- Lighting: Use critical lights, preferably LED lights which last much longer, are cheaper in the long run and save up to 80% energy.
- Conserve energy: You kettle, your toaster, your juicer….Plug them on only when you are using them and unplug immediately after use.
- Change your cleaning ways: Instead of the toxic chemical cleaners for your utensils, use lemon juice, vinegar and baking soda which will do the job. Also use cloth towels for cleaning or wiping your table tops rather than tissue paper.
- Upgrade old appliances: Make sure your old gadgets are energy efficient. If not buy some new more energy efficient models which are available in the market.
- Use only what you need: In your electric kettle put only 1 cup of water for your one cup of tea. It’s sheer carelessness to just dump in water and letting it boil and simmer for only your 1 cup. It also saves electricity.
- Use durable cookware made of stainless steel or cast iron or copper and brass instead of these “modern” teflon coated non stick ware. The toxicity of this material is debatable.
- Use the microwave for a large part of your cooking as it accounts for 80% saving of energy. Use solar cookers to reduce the gas bills and doing the Earth another big favor and saving on LPG. Grow your own herbs. Use glass containers for your ingredients instead of plastic.
Ditch Plastic Containers for Glass
Grow your own herbs
Find more of your own energy saving and environment friendly gadgets and devices to enhance your eco friendly kitchen for longevity of us all on this planet.