Sustainable Building materials play a very important role in creating Green or Sustainable buildings. They help in improving the functions of the building and its occupants and is in coordination with the climate and natural site conditions around.
Sustainable buildings drastically help in reducing its carbon footprint. The characteristics of Sustainable Building materials are-
- Sustainable materials are those that are locally available. They help in reducing the manufacturing costs, transportation costs and reduce the air pollution.
- Use of local construction techniques. This reduces the cost of construction and is capable of giving employment to the local laborers and craftsmen.
- The building materials should be recyclable or reusable.
- The materials should be highly durable and resistant to external weather conditions. This shall make the building last throughout its lifetime and become maintenance free.
- The Sustainable materials help in increasing the thermal efficiency of the building. This results in reduction of electrical costs and loss of energy due to unnecessary use of extra air conditioning.
- The materials should be moisture resistant and prevent the growth of any kind of algae and bacteria on the building surface or interiors.
- The materials should be non-toxic and there should be minimum chemical emissions.