Concrete Masonry Units or CMU are known as hollow concrete blocks, concrete bricks or concrete masonry. Concrete blocks are composed of Portland cement and aggregate, the high density blocks may use sand and gravel while low density blocks use industrial waste instead of aggregate. Lightweight blocks are made using aerated concrete.The hollow concrete blocks are manufactured , hardened and cured before reaching the site and is a very durable and strong material .
The characteristics and advantages of using Hollow Concrete Blocks are –
- They have a uniform size and have two hollow cores within it which make it very light in weight.
- The cores comprise of air pockets which make it a very good for heat insulation.
- They are very good for acoustics and sound insulation.
- They are economical and cost effective.
- It has a rough texture which allows good bonding between the concrete blocks and the mortar.
- Good resistance against external weather conditions.
- The internal walls can have a reduced thickness as it is very strong.
- It is an ecofriendly material as fly ash can also be used to manufacture these blocks.
- Cement Masonry Units are fire resistant.
Suggested Read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Fly ash in Concrete