Ordinary Portland cement(OPC) is widely used in the construction industry while Portland Pozzolana cement (PPC) is gaining popularity and finding exclusive uses in the construction industry.
Suggested Post: Difference between grade 43 and grade 53 cement.
Difference Between OPC Cement and PPC Cement
The main differences in their characteristics and uses are –
- Portland Pozzolana Cement is a variation of Ordinary Portland Cement. Pozzolana materials namely fly ash, volcanic ash, are added to the OPC so that it becomes PPC. Pozzolana materials are added to the cement in the ratio of 15% to 35% by weight.
- Both are ecofriendly materials but Pozzolana Cement uses natural and industrial waste thus reducing the environmental pollution.
- OPC is available in 3 grades namely grade 33, grade 43 and grade 53. Pozzolana is available in one grade and its strength matches the strength of grade 33 OPC after curing.
- OPC is the most commonly used cement in construction. PPC is highly resistant to sulphate attacks hence its prime use is in construction of dams ,foundations , buildings near the sea shore , reservoirs , marine construction to name a few.
- PPC is cheaper than OPC.
- PPC has low initial setting strength compared to OPC but hardens over a period of time with proper curing.
PPC VS. OPC Cement