- Extrusion is the process of creating an object of a desired cross section by passing the material through a dye having the specific dimensions as per design.The material that could be hot or cold is forced through a smaller opening to form extrusions.
- In extrusion the raw material is passed through the dye in molten state so as to convert it into the desired cross sectional design. Several metals increase in strength after extrusion. Alloys could be added to brittle metals like Aluminium to form a product that has high material strength.
- Complex cross sections can be manufactured by the process of extrusion. Extrusion is mainly done for the manufacture of cylindrical bars and hollow tubes. Metal extrusions can create very complex cross sectional shapes by the hot extrusion process.
- The extrusions are done the form of continuous sections or they can be done in the form of small sections that are cut periodically.
- Extrusion is mainly done for metals, plastics and dough ( for children), The metals and plastics that are very brittle to undergo forging or shaping by hammers undergo the process of extrusion.
Suggested Read: Direct and Indirect Extrusion